Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The garden in February

OK, I'm up for the challenge...I'll post the same photo every month and we'll just see what comes up.

The lavender hedge is not long for the world. Planted in winter 2000-2001, so now it's old and scraggly. I'll replace with ornamental grasses and something or other as soon as I figure that out.

Plants purchased at Seattle Garden Show (damn them for selling bareroots in plastic bags! I came home with a suitcase stuffed with plants and samples of compost--in other words, a garden with wheels and a handle. Scott could not believe how heavy it was.) Anyway, plants:

Two gas plants (Dictamnus alba, purple and white)--and has anyone ever actually lit one of these? Seriously, I need to know.

Voodoo Lily (Dracunculus vulgaris)--hey, it's research for a book

A blue ornamental grass whose name I've already forgotten

A little red burnet, not sure which one (Sanguisorba)

A little chartreuse anenome, who knows what that's called, but how cool is a chartreuse anenome (yeah, I know, Susan, I should save my plant tags and put them in a book, really I love this idea, but it's not in my nature, I guess.)

Just arrived from Digging Dog--and I only know the names because the packing slip is right here:

Aster cordifolius--they promise it's huge and over the top
Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Atrosanguinea'--Piet Oudolf got me all hot for these--more on him later
Veronicastrum verginicum 'Apollo'--like Veronica, only bigger and crazier.
Callicarpa dichotoma 'Early Amethyst'--purple beautyberry--for my alleyway planting of berry & flowering branch type plants. Posted by Picasa