Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sex in (and after) the Garden



In her New York Times piece, Joyce Wadler tells the tale of author William Alexander's attempt at pollinating his apple tree. She writes:

"After learning that apple trees would not bear fruit unless cross-pollinated with trees of another variety, he harvested blossoms from trees near his office, mashed the blossoms and spread the pollen on the tree. That evening, he writes, he made ardent love to his wife."

Alexander blogs about his new book, The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden, on his website. He writes:

"So my wife was quite startled to see her sex life (along with her name and age) discussed in the Home and Garden section of Thursday's New York Times. ... The day only got worse for my internist wife when a call slipped past her receptionist: "Congratulations, doctor! You're famous!" said the caller, who turned out to be salesman trying to peddle a framed copy of the article. ...Anyway, I soothed my wounded ego by telling my wife to get used to seeing her sex life in print: My next book is titled "The Hundred Dollar—" ah, never mind. I'm in enough trouble as it is. I'm going to go hide out in the potato patch till this blows over... "

Hey, it sells books!

The $64 Tomato