Saturday, March 04, 2006

High Country Gardens

Just placed an order for some irresistable plants from High Country Gardens in Santa Fe. I know that I shouldn't plant just one of something, but it's hard to convince me to buy three or four new, untried (to me) plants when I could just try one out, and if I like it, either order more or make some divisions.

So here's what I've got on the way:

Agastache 'Ava,' which they say grows to 4-5 feet tall and 2 feet wide. Who can resist? I love these minty, slowly-spreading agastaches for their glorious colors and the fact that the blooms last a long time and even look good when they're mostly dry--they're like yarrow in that sense, and the two look great together. Also got the reddish-orange Agastache x rupestris 'Orange Flare.'




Stachys inflata, a shrubby lamb's ear--native of Iran--that can take poor soil and drought. Low-growing, which is what I need in the part of the garden the chickens spend most of their time in. I'm hoping it can survive their scratching.




Salvia reptens, West Texas grass sage, a surprisingly grassy little salvia with brilliant blue flowers. Am hoping it will look good with my new ornamental grasses. Also got a yummy hot pink Salvia penstemonoides Beardtongue Red Sage, which was thought to be extinct but is making a comeback after being re-discovered in central Texas.






A yellow pinleaf penstemon, Penstemon pinifolius 'Mersea Yellow.' Who can resist a yellow penstemon? Also got a yellow-flowered Texas yucca, Hesperaloe parviflora 'Yellow,' for the same reason. Not sure how it will do without the Texas heat, but it would also look fabulous with my new grasses so we'll see.



Narrow-leaf foxglove Digitalis obscura. I'd like about a hundred of these, but I'll start with one.